The Focal Point® Community Campus will serve as a source of financially sustainable community development to help improve the lives of more than 400,000 residents on the West and Southwest Sides of Chicago, representing North Lawndale, Little Village, Pilsen, Brighton Park, Back of the Yards, and Archer Heights neighborhoods. With plans for the more than 1 million square foot complex that offers retail, wellness, education, arts and recreation services customized to the needs of the community, the new campus will focus on the complete well-being of community members. The new campus will be housed at 31st & Kedzie Avenue, the former site of the Washburne Trade School.
Chicago Southwest Development Corporation and its CEO Guy A. Medaglia are spearheading a project that will serve as a model to change the face of community development across the country.
Elected Officials Support Focal Point
The Focal Point Community Campus Concept is a Game Changer
Once the campus is built, the income from its for-profit elements will supplement the financial needs of the not-for-profit elements, providing a much-needed solution to deliver medical, education and other services to the community.
Current plans for the campus include:
- Retail tenants, providing community members access to jobs, food, clothing and household items.
- A hospitality center for community members to rent for personal use.
- A child care center, offering parents a convenient location for quality child care.
- An outpatient and specialty clinic, to meet a wide range of rehabilitative and health maintenance needs.
- A newly constructed Saint Anthony Hospital, which will continue to provide emergency and medical care that turns no one away, regardless of ability to pay.
- An education center offering community programs.
- A center for creativity, where inner city youth will be encouraged to develop their talents.
- A recreation center, complete with a basketball court and half Olympic-size pool, providing a sanctuary for at-risk youth.
- A variety of wellness programs that will provide information on topics such as healthy food preparation, parenting skills and more.